MAFC –YEAR LONG SERVICE AWARD CRITERIA
NEW IN 2017: 35 & 45 YEAR BARS
Eligibility criteria for the medal are:
• The recipient’s fire organization must have a member(s) or a combined membership of 5 consecutive years of membership in the M.A.F.C.
• 25 years’ cumulative active service in Manitoba with good standing
• For Industrial/Non-Municipal fire fighters, training to and certification at the “NFPA 1001” Level One, after 25 years of service
• Current or former resident of Manitoba
• Current or former member of the Fire Service, whether full time, part time, or volunteer.
PRESENTATION OF THE MEDAL
• Presentation of the medal(s) will be annually at the M.A.F.C. Conference.
• In the event that a firefighter cannot be present at the award ceremony, his/her medal will be forwarded within one week after the ceremony to his/her local municipality or organization.
WEARING THE MEDAL
• The medal shall be worn on the left breast, subordinate to all Canadian and British military decorations.
• The nominating authority may be the fire chief, deputy, senior manager, mayor and city clerk or town administrator.
• Self-nominations will not be accepted.
• All nominations must consist of a completed M.A.F.C. Long Service Medal Nomination Form, along with a covering letter explaining why the nominee is worthy of the award.
• All nomination forms must be submitted by December 31st, after completing 25 yrs of service.
CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND THE SCOPE COVERED HERE
Application may be made on behalf of the firefighter with any and all supporting documentation, with a full explanation required. The application package will be reviewed by the M.A.F.C. Awards Committee who, at their discretion, will make a decision as to the Fire Fighters eligibility. Any decision by the committee will stand for the year the decision is made. Re-application cannot occur until the following year.
35 & 45 YEAR BARS
Beginning in 2017 the MAFC is also offering bars for 35 and 45 years. The criteria is the same as above. Note: For persons who were no longer active as of 2014 or earlier, a fee of $20.00 plus GST is applicable.
New for 2020 – the MAFC Board has passed a resolution to approve the addition of a Bison attachment to the 35- and 45-Year Undress Ribbon effective for 2020 (and moving forward) recipients. If an individual who received a 35- and/or 45-Year Bar for their medal, previous to 2020, and desires the Bison attachment(s) for the Undress Ribbon, there will be a cost of $10.00 plus GST. For more info and to request this please contact Executive Director, Sharon Williams at email@example.com .
For reference on when or how to wear fire service medals, please click on the link for the Governor General Website for the Guide for the Wearing of Orders, Decorations and Medals – The Canadian Honours System (www.gg.ca)
Download the Nomination Form Here: PDF
For Information on the following awards, please follow the links: